Sunday, April 28, 2013

Student of the Week AND Sunday Spotlight Teacher of the Week! :)

Who doesn't appreciate a little attention? 

Every fall I begin a Student of the Week recognition activity with my fifth grade class, and they LOVE it! I can see it in the beaming faces when I announce who the special person is on Monday morning.

I have my Student of the Week help out with special jobs around the classroom, they receive a special Brag Tag for their chain,
Click for more info on Brag Tags!
AND the rest of the students contribute a special anonymous message about what makes this person great so I can put together a poster that goes home with each child! THIS is the really special part of the process!

Because I insist the messages are anonymous, the students are all free to write something really awesome about their peers without it becoming a popularity contest, or without any awkwardness due to gender. I put the messages together along with a photo taken in the first few weeks of the school year, to create a poster that is laminated for preservation. You can see an example below.

I had confirmation of just how special this is to my kiddos when a former grade 5 student (now in grade 11) worked in my room for a co-op placement this year. She told me that she STILL had her Student of the Week poster, from 6 years before, displayed in her bedroom. Boy, did it ever make me happy to hear THAT!

This isn't the clearest photo, but it is basically what the posters look like just before laminating. To help students out with some potential comments, I created a SMART Board file that we pull up every week. If you'd like to try out this SMART Board product, I will randomly choose one person who comments on this post to receive a free copy! Or, you can pick it up at my Teachers Pay Teachers or Teachers Notebook stores!

Sunday Spotlight

In other news, I am extremely honored to have been chosen by my new blogger friend, Michaela, over at The Center Based Classroom, to be the focus of her Sunday Spotlight! :)
You might have seen her name or blog mentioned once or twice (or dozens of times!) this week since she is hosting the incredible Teachers for Boston fund raiser! She is even to be included in the TpT Newsletter this week! And for good reason... The last update I saw indicated an amazing $2500 had been raised!!

There's still time to pick up one or both of the HUGE teaching product bundles (valued at $150 and $180) for only $20!! Click on either of the images to head right to Michaela's blog, The Center Based Classroom, and follow this awesome teacher and person! :) Thanks, Michaela!

And Finally...! 

My "Good Readers" Comprehension Strategies Mini-Lessons are 40% off today in a Teachers Notebook Daily Deal promotion! Click the image to head over and get your copy!

8 comments :

  1. Yay! I'm always thrilled to find another fifth grade teacher blogger. :). I'm your newest follower.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brandee! Where do you teach? I'll be sure to check out your blog later tonight. Right now, I'm heading out into the long-overdue sunshine!! :)

      ~Erin

      Delete
    2. Hi Brandee! If you send me your e-mail address, I would love to send you a copy of my Student of the Week file! :)

      Happy Thursday!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the fundraiser again Erin! I LOVE the student of the week idea! I will definitely be trying it out!

    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Michaela! I hope you were able to get tons of donations today with the extra TpT newsletter exposure! :) Enjoy the rest of your evening!!

      ~Erin

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, Tara! :)

      ~Erin

      Delete
    2. Hi Tara! If you send me your e-mail address, I'd love to send you a copy of my Student of the Week file!

      Happy Thursday!

      ~Erin

      Delete

I love hearing from you and would like to reply with a personal e-mail. Make sure you aren't a "No Reply" blogger, or leave your e-mail address! Enjoy your day!