Friday, December 6, 2013

Using You Tube Safely In The Classroom

Have you ever wanted to pull up a You Tube video, but were afraid of what links were going to appear next to it? Me too. We've all been there... pull up some perfectly appropriate video and find some inappropriate image link right next to it.

When I pulled up a video on my SMART Board today it looked like this:

It is what we're all used to seeing, right? Well, what if I told you that with 5 little pushes of a key it would transform to this:

TRUE STORY! :) You can "quiet" your You Tube simply by typing the word "quiet" directly before the words You Tube in the URL.

For example, you can watch this video of The 2 Sisters discussing The Daily 5 Program by clicking the following URL:

Then, click this URL, which includes "quiet" to see the difference!

Isn't that awesome?! I love being able to pull something up on my SMART Board for my students without wondering what will come with it! You can access other features of the Quiet You Tube by clicking HERE.
Please note that I am in no way affiliated with the Quiet You Tube company, I just love how it changes online viewing for my students!

10 comments :

  1. Omg...it's really funny that you've posted this! I pulled up Rudolph today on You Tube for my kiddos and was nervous every step of the way!! Thanks for sharing. I love reading your posts!!

    Christin
    Shifting Teacher K-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, Christin! I couldn't resist... my students did the Jingle Bell Walk during my planning time, and returned to hot chocolate and cookies supplied by the school. Needless to say, my plans for the afternoon were scrapped very quickly. They were much too excited! Rudolph was the perfect stand-in! :)

      Thanks for the sweet message! Have a great weekend... we deserve it! ;)

      ~Erin

      Delete
  2. This is so great! I have been downloading the clips so that I could avoid the ads, but this would be much simpler. Thanks for sharing Erin. Have a great weekend!

    Charlene/Diamond Mom
    Diamond Mom's Treasury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this is helpful for you, Charlene! Thanks for commenting!

      You have a great weekend as well! :)

      ~Erin

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I know... isn't it great?! Thanks for commenting, Crystal!
      Have a great weekend!

      ~Erin

      Delete
  4. Love it! This is soooo necessary. I haven't heard of this site before. Thanks!
    :) Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the awesome tip, Erin! I always hide the screen on the smart board, open the youtube video, wait for the commercial, and then show the screen. Then I hide the screen really fast after. How did you discover this?
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this idea! I use Just Dance videos constantly for brain breaks and transitions and I feel like I get a work out trying to run around blanking screens, pausing videos, etc. to keep the "unknown" away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kelli! I'm glad this is helpful to you! :)

      Happy New Year!

      ~Erin

      Delete

I love hearing from you and would like to reply with a personal e-mail. Make sure you aren't a "No Reply" blogger, or leave your e-mail address! Enjoy your day!